I’m sure you’re all aware that this is NOT my first internet marketing newbie guide. That’s not to say that all the ‘newbie guides’ I released before this one are crap – because they are not!
I write A LOT every day and from time to time I get stuck in that ‘Oh…did I forget to mention that?’ mindset.
I constantly remember things I should maybe of included and I get a little hot under the collar when this feeling hits me.
So this particular internet marketing newbie guide will be centered on a few topics already covered but from slightly different angles. This way I can sort of highlight the points I may of overlooked the first time around 🙂
Jim’s a Nice Guy!
For the sake of this article lets take a purely fictional guy named Jim. He’s a pretty nice guy ( as you can see from the heading ) and he’s interested in starting up a business within internet marketing ( and why not! ).
So let’s take a look at the initial mistakes Jim is ( probably ) going to make:
- Jim is going to purchase a armory of marketing tools he believes to be the best out there.
- He is going to sit down and prepare numerous layouts for his articles and spend about a month doing this.
- He will spend weeks trawling through the internet studying like-minded bloggers and taking tips from the way they do things.
I bet all that sounds really fair to you right? Well here are the reasons these three steps may not be the most efficient ones to initially take…
- The best tools on the market are HIGHLY UNLIKELY to help you during the first few months of starting out. A couple of tools like a decent keyword tool and a content platform will help you but the rest are just shiny objects at best!
- Jim is wasting valuable learning time by going through this much preparation for writing. The only way to get comfortable with creating content is to get out there and write – learn from your mistakes the hard way!
- Trawling through competitor’s blogs is fine as long as it is in moderation. If you spend to long doing this you are going to invite information overload into your work-life and that my friend…is a disaster!
Let’s face it – Jim doesn’t know any better, none of us do when first starting out. The following are a few steps Jim should seriously consider before going any further with this project…
1) Combating Information Overload
When the whole internet marketing learning process gets on top of you ( and it will! ) the last thing you want to do is attempt to cram more information in.
A confusion is only held in place as long as all things are in motion. Once you begin making things still, one at a time, the confusion starts to disappear.
You need to take control over what you deem important learning – at first all things will seem equally important to learn.
Take in a little bit each day and make sure you understand what that info means before moving on. The more comfortable you get the more you can choose to digest each day.
2) Learn What You Need to WHEN You Need to!
This is a simple step that will allow you to learn as and when you need to. For example, if you have no immediate thoughts to start a PPC campaign then don’t learn about this subject yet.
Instead maybe concentrate on content creation as this will be something you will being doing a lot of initially.
It’s a simple case of ‘first things first’. Don’t jump into subjects that won’t help your current level as they will only add to the clutter inside your already swollen head!
3) Take in OR Give Out!
Our brains have the power to consume OR produce – they struggle to do both at the same time.
When you are producing work you need to switch of the consuming mechanism and concentrate firmly on your outflow.
If at all possible only have the tabs necessary to work open – no Facebook, no checking emails, no YouTube and no distractions.
The only time you should leave one of these distractions into your workflow is when you need a little advice. Maybe you need to check a blog for back up on info or learn something from a video on YouTube – this is fine!
If Jim Can do it You Can to!
When you have a clear path in front of you the learning process becomes a heck of a lot easier. The biggest problem for any newbie coming into the world of online business, is the lack of a clear plan of action.
If you have any questions regarding the internet marketing newbie guide I’ve covered here today please leave them in the comment section below.